Background

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Kyle Maureen Flanagan Kochel - 1952-2009

My aunt Kyle passed away last night after fighting cancer for about a year. It was very sudden - we didn't know it had spread to her lungs and brain until last week, and she'd only had 1 radiation treatment, so at least she didn't suffer overly.

Unfortunately, we weren't particularly close; she lived far away and battled drugs and a difficult lifestyle for much of my young years, but overcame all that, pulled herself together, and had a baby at 40. She loved her son Brandon desperately and lived for him. They always lived in San Diego and I saw her a few times in my life, but heard many stories from my mom and Aunt Linda. I can't imagine losing one of my 4 sisters, no matter how close we were/weren't. I'm very sad for my mom, aunt and grandparents.

And so here is a brief retrospective of Kyle:

Four Generations of Flanagan Ladies
Back Row L-R: Auntie Kyle, Auntie Linda, Dee (Linda's daughter), Momma
Next Row: Andi, Zoe (Andi's daughter), Mel, Grandma Donna

Grandpa Joe, Grandma Donna, Auntie Kyle, Auntie Linda, Momma - circa 1986?

Auntie Kyle, Momma, Auntie Linda - circa 1960?
I know that Heavenly Father called her home when her time here was done - not sooner, not later. I find comfort in knowing where she is and how happy she must be now.

1 comment:

dcr said...

hello Melanie, I tried to leave a comment for you somewhere on my dad's comments about your aunt Kyle. my dad and kyle spend a great deal of time together in san diego and kyle took care of my grandfather for about the last two years of his life. kyle was a great comfort to my grandpa, and I enjoyed the time I spent with her. my dad is very grateful to kyle for all her help and he was sad when I found this blog entry only a few months ago. my dad asked that I relay his condolences to you and your family on kyle's death, and confirm that she was loved far and wide! he visited with a mutual friend of theirs this past week and they both reminisced about the good times they had with kyle.

not sure how to close this, so please know we loved her and were very grateful for her help during a difficult time in our family.