Background

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ah, ennui

en⋅nui: /ɑnˈwi /[ahn-wee] –noun
a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest; boredom. "The endless lecture produced an unbearable ennui."


I love words. Always have. I love how the English language has been compiled from so many different languages, taking the parts we want and tossing back the rest. I could go on and on about some of my favorite words, but I'll spare you. But how much more descriptive it is, what a fuller picture is created when you say, "I'm filled with ennui" instead of "I'm so bored" or "I'm so dissatisfied with my life today." And yesterday, I was filled with ennui.

I often have those days where I know what I have to do - after all, it's staring me in the face - but I just can't make myself be interested in doing any of it. I'm not depressed, I'm not "upset", I just don't wanna do nothin'. Which can be kind of hard to explain to the husband when he comes home from a day of working hard and finds nothing done at home. How do you explain that you just needed a day off? That you'll get it all done tomorrow, so don't have a cow, OK?

Just look at him and say, "Ennui, baby, ennui."

No comments: