Background

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Beehive Cake

My first non-birthday fondant creation! My mother-in-law requested a beehive cake for her RS Birthday event. After lots of thought and online research (me? nah!), plus several different game plans, here's what I ended up with:
I had initially wanted something more realistic and - well, I guess - sophisticated. But I ended up going with cutesy, and I do love it. This was my first time molding little figures from fondant and gumpaste, my first time covering my cake board, plus many other firsts. It was really fun! Oh, and I used my favorite moist chocolate cake recipe, with chocolate ganache filling and caramel buttercream. I hear it was tasty as well!

Bees and flowers drying

1 9" round, 1 8", 1 6" and half of a pyrex bowl

First couple of tiers filled, stacked, doweled and crumb-coated

Almost done crumb-coating

Covered! And I didn't tear it once!

Well, not until I stuck a finger through it. Doh!



The kids kept calling the largest bee the queen, so I decided to make her a wee crown. :)

No comments: