Background

Saturday, July 17, 2010

My New Favorite Breakfast

Baked Oatmeal! I just love it. It fills me up very nicely until lunch, and is actually pretty good for you. Top with your favorite flavors: I've used sliced strawberries, and today sauteed up some chopped apple in a little butter and brown sugar. Pecans or other nuts would probably be nice, as well. PJ puts more sugar on his, but I think it's sweet enough as is.
I make a batch, put the leftovers in the fridge and warm up portions throughout the week. The original recipe had more sugar, no applesauce or flax, and made enough for a 9" square pan. I made it a little healthier and cut it by half for just PJ and me. Super yummy!

My adapted recipe:

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t cinnamon (I think I do more)
1/2 t salt
1 scoop (approx. 2 T) flaxseed meal (you can omit if you don't have, but it's really nice nutritionally)
1/2 cup milk
3 T butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Additional milk
Fruit, nuts, other as desired

In a large bowl, combine the oats, sugar, spices and flaxseed. In a small bowl, combine the milk, butter, eggs and applesauce. Stir into oat mixture until blended.

Spoon into a greased 9" loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes or until set. Serve warm with milk and your choice of assorted toppings.

This makes 2-4 servings (depending on your definition of a portion.)

No comments: